Bright Room Called Day
by Tony Kushner
Directed by Seth Rose
Assistant Directed by Ryan Mays
Audition Dates: November 4th 12-4pm and November 5th 5-9pm
Callbacks: November 6th 6-11pm (by invitation only)
Auditions will be held at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, Baxter Hall, 301 A Street SE, Washington, DC 20003
January 12, 13, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, and 27 (double)
Casting will not be age or gender restricted; all are invited to audition.
Interested actors should prepare a 1 minute, contemporary monologue. Headshots/resumes encouraged, but not required. Auditions are open, no reservation or appointment is needed.
The play is set in Germany in 1932 and 1933 and concerns a group of friends caught up in the events of the fall of the Weimar Republic and the rise to power of Adolf Hitler and the Nazi party. The plot is centered on a woman named Agnes Eggling, a middle-aged actress, and all of the action takes place in her apartment. The action is occasionally interrupted by scenes featuring Zillah, a young woman in the 1980s living in Long Island who believes that President Reagan is becoming too much like Hitler. In the version performed by the New York Shakespeare Festival, Zillah has moved to Berlin. Zillah has fled to Germany out of frustration and anger at the growing power of the Republican Party in America during the 1980s. The play was based on Bertolt Brecht’s work The Private Life of the Master Race.
Things to know before auditioning for the St. Mark’s Players Productions:
- The St. Mark’s Players conduct open auditions. We are an all volunteer organization (we do not pay). All are welcome to audition.
- All roles are open – no parts have been pre-cast. To audition, just show up; auditions are open call. We will have you fill out some paperwork. We will also ask for you to include all scheduling conflicts Please list all known and potential conflicts. We generally can work with your schedule if we know of conflicts in advance. If cast and some new conflict should arise, you are expected to communicate immediately with the Stage Manager. You can also bring a resume that we will attach to your information sheet. A head shot is not required, but feel free to bring one.
- If cast, you will be expected to pay a membership fee to join the Players and a script fee or script deposit (script fees will vary from show to show).
- We are an active company where everyone in the cast and crew participates in moving sets, resetting from church to theater and vice versa EACH WEEKEND, and striking the show following our final performance. Everyone is expected to participate in these endeavors. Tasks during these activities will be assigned to match your capabilities by the stage manager.
- You will be expected to be at rehearsals on time, and ready to work.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.