The box office is open for our production of Gypsy– on stage May 3- 18.
Music by Jules Styne
Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim
Book by Arthur Laurents
Directed by Katie Ganem
Gypsy is a 1959 musical with music by Jule Styne, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, and a book by Arthur Laurents. Gypsy is loosely based on the 197 memoirs of Gypsy Rose Lee, the famous striptease artist, and focuses on her mother, Rose, whose name has become synonymous with “the ultimate show business mother.” It follows the dreams and efforts of Rose to raise two daughters to perform onstage and casts an affectionate eye on the hardships of the show business life. The character of Louise is based on Lee, and the character of June is based on Lee’s sister, the actress June Havoc.
The musical contains many songs that became popular standards, including “Everything’s Coming up Roses,” “Together (Wherever we Go),” “Small World,” “You Gotta Get a Gimmick,” “Let me Entertain You,” “All I Need is the Girl,” and “Rose’s Turn.” It is frequently considered one of the crowning achievements of the mid-20th century’s conventional musical theater art form, often called the “book musical.”
Gypsy has been referred to as the greatest American musical by numerous critics and writers, among them Ben Brantley (“what may be the greatest of all American musicals…”) and Frank Rich wrote that “Gypsy is nothing if not Broadway’s own brassy, unlikely answer to King Lear.” Theater critic Clive Barnes wrote that “Gypsy is one of the best musicals…” and described Rose as “one of the few truly complex characters in the American musical.”
To purchase tickets online:
- Find the date below and then click on the Show title next to the corresponding date, which will open a new page.
- Select the ticket type and number of tickets you would like to purchase.
- Once you have added the tickets you need, click “Add to Cart.”
- Next navigate to the cart by clicking “My Cart” at the very top right of the website or “Go to Cart” above the ticket options.
- Once in the Cart, enter the requested information (name and email) and click “Review cart and make payment.”
- Review the information to ensure you have selected the correct date and time and number of tickets. Click “Make Payment through PayPal.”
- Once on the PayPal website you can log in with an existing account if you have one, or you can simply click “Pay with Debit or Credit Card” to check out as a guest – no PayPal log in is needed and you enter your debit or credit card information then click “Pay Now.”
- Once payment is complete you will receive an email confirmation. The Box Office will also receive a confirmation and be able to check you in when you arrive at St. Mark’s.
Box Office Contact Information:
Location: St. Marks Episcopal Church, 301 A Street SE, Washington, DC 20003
General: Doors Open 30 min prior to showtime. All seating is general admission – no reserved seats. Please call ahead for handicap access.